Tuesday, May 15, 2007

How do you travel with books?

We came to Virginia with over thirty books. Some of you will be rolling your eyes in disbelief. Others will be nodding your heads knowingly.

Some of these books are for me to use for work. For example I'm working through Code Complete, 2nd Edition. I read the first edition four or five years ago. I picked up the 2nd edition just over a year ago, but hadn't gotten around to reading it. If you do any programming or software development this is a great book to have.

I think my oldest had close to a dozen. My second daughter had five to eight. I don't think my youngest brought any. I know Janine has some. I don't know how many.

Since we've been here five days we've added more than ten to our collection. At this rate we could end up heading back home with seventy to eighty books. I may try shipping some of them via UPS from my brother's place.

Does anyone have tricks for traveling with books? I did a Google search for inflatable bookshelves or portable bookcases and didn't see anything that seemed like a good fit. Does anyone make a suitcase that opens into a bookshelf?


----------
Technorati tags: , , ,

2 comments:

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I carry a huge purse that I can fill with books when we go on planes.

Marbel said...

While I have no tips to share, I can empathize. The hardest part of packing for a trip is deciding which books to take! It's so hard to be sure to have just the right book, isn't it? And there's that fear of being stuck without anything to read. Funny how we always seem to "forget" that most likely we will have opportunities to buy more books.