Monday, August 19, 2013

Where I have been - FreeOrion

Our readers may have noticed that blogging has been light the last couple weeks. 

I apologize.

I have been off conquering the universe in a game called FreeOrion.  It is similar to the series Master of Orion, one of my all-time favorite games.  FreeOrion purposely has a lot of the same flavor as the Master of Orion games.  There are different alien races with different attributes.  They can live on different types of planets.  After selecting which race you want to use, you can build starships and go exploring.  You will want to invest in technology to get better ships and improvements in other areas.

I was playing 25 plus hours a week (It is that addictive.) so I finally removed the game from my PC. 

The game is still under development.  Just a couple weeks ago they released their 0.4.3 version.  The game is available for Windows XP, Vista, or 7; Mac OSX 10.6+, or Linux. 

The game is being developed as open source, kind of like Linux, but not such a big project.  The developers are creating FreeOrion on their own time and their own dime. 

Here is a short video explaining the basics:



If you find you like the game you can help in a variety of ways.

Enjoy.

No comments: