Monday, August 19, 2013

From the trenches - the last year of homeschooling

My second daughter shares her perspective on her last year of homeschooling:

----------
Hi, second daughter here. I’m starting my senior and final year of homeschooling. This is a rough description of my curriculum this semester.

I’m taking Human Biology with lab and American Sign Language part two through our local community college. I’m also studying Civics and English classes through an online private school. I’m doing Saxon math with a tutor. In addition to these classes, I’m in a homeschool choir and band as well as a church choir.

One of my favorite things about homeschooling is that it’s like an all you can eat buffet. I can pick and choose all the best classes, that is, the best classes for me. It’s so flexible and individual. The right classes for me might not be the right classes for my sisters.

Because I already know what career I want, Speech Pathology, I’ve been taking the community college classes targeted for my major.  This is one of the reasons I’m thrilled to be taking college classes in a supplement to my course work: Free college credit, yeah! And, I am sure it looks good on college applications.

The program where my brother receives speech therapy allows students to observe. His speech therapist has been quite nice and allowed me to stay and watch half days. I get a better feel what this would be like as a career.

I am excited and nervous for the next stage in my adventure as college applications start. I’m grateful to my parents for the solid education they’ve given me. Homeschooling has prepared me for life in a lot of ways.
----------

No comments: