Monday, December 17, 2012

An update from a homeschool graduate


Here is an update from my oldest daughter:

----------
Hi, I’m the eldest. I’m the one now in college. Dad asked me to write a homeschool post today.

One of the things I like most about homeschooling is the freedom, freedom to arrange my schedule how I want or freedom to take vacations in the middle of the year.

Because my sisters and I were/are homeschooled we have a monopoly on babysitting, house cleaning, and other chores that people hire kids for. Through high school I would watch kids during the hours when other kids where in school.

Now in college I have tried to arrange my classes to continue working. All my classes are in the morning allowing me to house clean, babysit, and do other jobs during the afternoon. This has allowed me to work for several people weekly and others when they need a babysitter.

Unfortunately college is not as accommodating as homeschooling is in regards to vacations.

In years past we could pack up our school work get on a plane and be gone for weeks. One year we went back East for a month staying in Boston one week, Virginia the next. It was really interesting we visited museums and spent several days at Colonial Williamsburg.

Homeschooling is really great and allows you to control your learning experience.
----------

1 comment:

Lana said...

the part I liked about being homeschooled was my freedom to study as I want and make my own routine. I also liked that I didn't have to study for tests and be told what was important to learn. good posts.

I excelled in college, but I never learned to like it because I couldn't get over the fact that I was paying 100s of daughters for someone else to tell me what I had to read (I was an english major)