Monday, September 05, 2011

Our Crazy Schedule


Now that our children are older, homeschooling is more complicated than it used to be. When the girls were little, our schedule was very relaxed, especially when I compared it to my friends with children in traditional school.

Those days are over.

To coordinate our schedules, we use Google Calendar. Each family member has his own online calendar linked to the others. (I put the activities for the two youngest children on my calendar).

I can see the calendars with a click on my iPhone.

This makes it possible for me to keep track of my oldest daughter's community college classes, my daughters' babysitting jobs, soccer practice for three kids, choir practice, band practice, math tutoring, speech therapy, karate class, theater class, and on and on.

I really need to get a bumper sticker that says, "I don't know why they call it Homeschooling, I'm always in my car."

4 comments:

Ami said...

I have that bumper sticker! Along with one that labels me an "unsocialized homeschool mom".

Jennifer said...

Love it! My kids are still young, 1st and preschooler, but between homeschooling them, keeping up with appointments for home and work my google calendar and iphone help keep it all together for me. A little bonus, I can add the household trash schedule and invite my husband. Oh yes, and the invite means he is "invited" to take it out! :)

Susie Buetow said...

LOL love your last quote about the car! I'm your newest GFC follower and I homesechool, too! I've been here before but this time I made sure that I was following your blog!

Stop over and say HI!
xoxo SusieQTpies

Jannelle N. said...

I am a mother of 5 and so agree with you! My oldest is 8 and I know this is just going to get worst! I make a considerate effort to not over-schedule, but it's very difficult. I especially feel bad when I feel the youngest ones are dragged along as I go around taking the older children to practice, lessons, etc.