Friday, June 24, 2011

Thoughts about why we need to be OK with being wrong

Jesus Christ teaches us to be humble.  I think one of the reasons why it is important for us to be humble is we are then more teachable.  We are more open to change, to learning new ideas and this will lead to growth.  Part of the way we become better people is by admiting we don't know everything and that we might be wrong in some things.  This is scary.  There have been times in my life when I felt like I would rather be dead than to admit I was wrong.  But we have to be humble and open to truth to become more perfect.

Kathryn Schultz has studied what it means to be wrong.  She calls herself a wrongologist.  I first heard of her yesterday when I watched her TED talk On being wrong:



It is worth investing 18 minutes in watching her talk.  She is entertaining and informative.  If you watch the video I think you will be more comfortable in being wrong.  I've added her book Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error to my list of books to read.

No comments: