Wednesday, June 15, 2011

News: Students don't know much about US History

There is a line about those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.  It looks like we'll be repeating it.

Report: Students don't know much about US history:

----------
U.S. students don't know much about American history.


Just 13 percent of high school seniors who took the 2010 National Assessment of Educational Progress, called the Nation's Report Card, showed a solid grasp of the subject. Results released Tuesday showed the two other grades didn't perform much better, with just 22 percent of fourth-grade students and 18 percent of eighth-graders demonstrating proficiency.
----------

I wonder if the test is online.  I would love to know how my daughters would do on the test.

2 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

I'd be interested to know how much I "know" about US History myself. Partly because I'm interested in my own education, but I'm also interested to know what kind of information is on these tests. The one example (canals increased trade) seems more like an economic question than a historical one. Of course, I think there should be more integration between subjects, but the very segmentation of subjects could be the problem here: "This is a history test! What are the historical results of building canals?" ...umm...

Also, if they want dates, I'd fail. But if they ask about cause and effect, motivation and outcome, I'd be very interested to know how ignorant I am about those topics. If I "don't know much" about dates and poorly constructed questions, I'm really not that worried.

~Luke

Becca Cate said...

I can vouch for that. My history class did horribly, since no one cared to learn it. We had so many people fail tests, quizzes, assessments, etc. I'm not surprised at all.