Saturday, May 28, 2011

I've been making notes for my funeral

One of the problems with getting older is that I am attending a lot more funerals.  As a child I don't think I attended any funerals until one in my late teens.  In my twenties I went to a couple.  In my thirties I seemed to average about one a year.  I have been thinking that maybe in another ten or twenty years I might average one a month. 

But I've been to two in the last two weeks.

Two of my friends have each lost their mother.  I attended both funerals.  The mother who died two weeks ago was in her mid 80s.  She had lived a full life.  It was sad for her to move on, but it felt complete.  The lady who died six days ago was 54 and survived by two children, ages 25 and 17.  Disease took away her life with unexpected suddeness. 

I've started a Google document with some notes for my funeral.  I've listed some ways to contact friends who might be interested, some of the hymns that I'd like considered for the service and a few thoughts on what to be said.  I've shared the document with Janine.  At some point I'll share it with my children, maybe when they turn 18 or 21, or something.

My goal is to live another fifty years, but we never know in this life. 

No comments: