Friday, August 07, 2009

I've taken twitter off the blog

I noticed yesterday morning that when loading our blog that the browser hung while trying to read in my last five entries from twitter. Our sitemeter statistics were down. I decided to remove it from our blog template. Our blog then loaded just fine.

I found out later that a Hacker attack had shut down Twitter:

----------
A hacker attack Thursday shut down the fast-growing messaging service Twitter for hours, while Facebook experienced intermittent access problems.
Twitter said it suffered a denial-of-service attack, in which hackers command scores of computers to a single site at the same time, preventing legitimate traffic from getting through.
The fact that a relatively common attack could disable such a well-known Web site shows just how young and vulnerable Twitter still is, even as it quickly becomes a household name used by celebrities, large corporations, small businesses and even protesters in Iran.
"Clearly they need a stronger infrastructure to be able to fight this kind of attack," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at computer security firm Sophos. Twitter's tech support teams, he added, "must be frankly out of breath" trying to keep up with the site's enormous growth.
According to comScore, Twitter had 20.1 million unique visitors in the United States in June, some 34 times the 593,000 a year earlier.

----------

I have been using twitter for just over a month. I feel a little vain using it. I wonder why would anyone be interested in what a software engineer is doing. Yet I have 32 followers.

A link to my tweets was on our blog for a month. For now the twitter link will stay off.

I will going to keep tweeting.


----------
Technorati tags: Twitter

No comments: