Thursday, June 18, 2009

I would love to see this data broken down for homeschoolers

Christina Hoff Sommers's recent column Baseless Bias and the New Second Sex reports:

----------
Claims of bias against women in academic science have been greatly exaggerated. Meanwhile, men are becoming the second sex in American higher education.
----------

She shares this graph below from Mark J. Perry, a professor at the University of Michigan. (Mark gave me permission to include the graph.)



















As the father of three daughters I am all for girls going off to college. We have encouraged our daughters to plan on a college education. It is good to encourage women to go to college. But as Dr. Summers points out this improvement for women should not be at the detriment to men.


I would love to see this data broken down for homeschoolers. It appears a big part of the problem is few men overall are going off to college, so fewer graduate. My guess is for children who are homeschooled the ratio would be really close to 50-50, both for going off to college, and for graduating. (Shall I do another survey?) There might even be slightly more homeschooled boys going off to college than girls.

(Hat tip: Hacker News)


---------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, parenting, children, government school, public school, public education, education

2 comments:

NerdMom said...

I would love to see another survey!

silvermine said...

Hmmm. My mom and my sister and I all have college degrees. My dad and brothers do not. Neither does my husband. My brothers wives do. Crazy, huh? ;)

I think it's for a lot of reasons...

1) For a long time, women had to prove themselves *more*. To show you could do the job, a credential would help.

2) Guys, typically I think, are more into just jumping in and figuring it out, while women can sometimes be more timid and want direct instruction.

3) Women are socialized in school to do things "the right way". You know, you go to class, raise your hand, get an A, go to college, etc..

4) Colleges are toxic to men right now. :P

5) A lot of "mens" jobs don't require a degree, while "women's" jobs do. You need a degree to be a teacher. But you just need certifications (or experience) to do a lot of construction-style jobs.

I generalize. But there's a lot of reasons.