Thursday, March 19, 2009

Product review of SSDs

This post is mostly to capture a link for my extended-brain so I can find it easily in a few months.

My brother and I have talked recently about the changes Solid-state drives (SSD) will have on the computer industry. He argues persuasively that the dramatic improvement in access to data will have ripple affects.

For years data has been stored on hard drives, which are basically spinning plates. SSD's are basically memory chips, which can be accessed much, much faster.

I came across a long article about SSDs. It looks pretty good and I want to be able to find it in six month or so when we'll probably be getting another PC. If you are getting a new PC any time soon, you might want to skim the review. It is long, but there is a lot of information there.


----------
Technorati tags: SSD

2 comments:

Laura said...

I just got a netbook a couple weeks ago. I love its small size, the SSD is so much faster than a regular hard-drive, and there is no noisy fan because the SSD runs cool. I am not a huge fan of the oddly-placed quotation mark/ apostrophe button (it's a nine-inch machine, so something had to give... i just wish it were something else). I also love the Linux operating system, or i did until it started acting oddly over the last few days. I also thought that I could use Open Office to read and edit Word docs (very handy since my publisher and editors all use the newest version of Word which I was having problems downloading on my older version); however, it seems the comment functions are fluidly compatible, and that's how we all communicate about design and edits. So, I'll be seeing if I can return this and get a slightly bigger netbook with Windows (makes me cringe to have to give in to MS), but it is going to take a lot for someone to convince me to go back to a regular hard drive... especially in a portable computer. I love the speed and coolness of my new SSD computer!

Henry Cate said...

Thank you for the feedback. It does sound like when we get our next computer we'll go with an SSD drive.