Saturday, April 05, 2008

John Stossel defends homeschooling

You have probably already heard about the editorial by news journalist John Stossel, in response to the California court ruling which attempted to outlaw homeschooling. If you don't recognize the name, he wrote Stupid in America.

Here are few excerpts from his editorial,Upside Down Education.

I think the state court is looking at the state Constitution upside down. The court finds no constitutional right to homeschool one's children. But in a free country, people are free to do anything not expressly prohibited by law. If the Constitution is silent about homeschooling, then the right is reserved to the people. That's how the framers of the American Constitution said things are supposed to work.

I'm please that he looked at the issue through the perspective of Constitutional soundness. The California courts are notorious for trying to reinterpret and redefine the American Constitution.

I found the 300 + comments on the article at Townhall.com very entertaining. I am continually amazed how eager some people are to blindly entrust their freedoms to government agencies.

-------------------------------
Justice H. Walter Croskey, California appellate court

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found the judge's comments about how the purpose of school in part was to instill "loyalty to the state" to be frightening. A democracy founded on coercion or what amounts to propaganda is no democracy at all.

Anonymous said...

I liked his article. The comments at Town Hall were just scary though. Many of the comments were bashing liberals and talked about homeschooling to keep kids away from them. If I could ensure my kids were schooled by radical lberals I would keep my kids in public school!

Janine Cate said...

>A democracy founded on coercion or what amounts to propaganda is no democracy at all.

>The comments at Town Hall were just scary though.

I agree

DJ said...

"Blind Trust", sounds like a Stephen King novel to me! It's our public schools that have instilled that blind trust in generations of children. Very scary indeed!

Anonymous said...

John Stossel...he's got alot of good views on our freedoms.
It's nice to have a'celebrity' on our side.