Friday, November 23, 2007

The collection from a couple years ago

Before Janine and I started blogging I use to print off interesting articles, thought provoking posts and other random stuff I found while browsing the internet and blogosphere. I built up a large collection. It was over twelve inches tall. I spent two hours yesterday thinning and it is now down to about five inches.

I came across this thought in the collection:

"Mike suggests that school is trying to inoculate our children against 'Reading for Pleasure,' since that has been known to stimulate thinking. *gasp*"
- Kate Collins

I don't think there is a vast conspiracy, but the current programs of public schools have a tendency to discourage children from reading for fun. Many of our friends with children in public schools are frustrated that their children don't enjoy reading. In contrast every homeschooler I know either likes to read, or loves to read. I don't know any who look at reading with distaste.

And all that reading does led to thinking!


----------
Technorati tags: public school, public education, children, education, reading

No comments: