Saturday, September 09, 2006

Socialization article

I've spent the last few weeks thinking about and researching "socialization" and children. Some of this I used in my lastest in the series of posts on "Reasons to Avoid Government Schools." Thus this article, caught my eye.

Homeschool system could teach public schools a thing or two




I have lived between the realms of public and home education. While I spent the majority of my youth in public schools, I've had numerous home-educated friends, attended home-schooling conventions and support groups and, for a brief year in high school, homeschooled myself. And I remember a little about both worlds that the Mason County superintendent forgets.

The office-bound superintendent forgets that the socialization found in traditional schools (public and private) is appalling. K-12 students are segregated by age and denied interaction both with older people (from whom they could learn) and younger kids (whom they could help socialize).....


Homeschooling uniquely allows children to be well socialized. Traditional schooling, in contrast, pulls children out of the real world of community and work and hurts socialization.



----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, parenting, children, education, , , ,

No comments: