Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Blogs and writing

About nine months ago my wife and I first started blogging. One of our main goals was to encourage readers to consider homeschooling, and support those who were already homeschooling. As the months have gone by I've come to realize that a key part of effective blogging is the quality of the writing. I like this quotation:

When something can be read without effort,
great effort has gone into its writing.

-Enrique Jardiel Poncela
(Reader's Digest January 1995)
(Hat tip: Dan Galvin's Thought For The Day)

With the intent of improving my writing I've recently started working my way through Roy Peter Clark's "Fifty (50!) Tools which can help you in Writing." The original page no longer seems to link to the pages on each of the 50 tools, but this link works.


Speaking of writing and blogging, Virginia Postrel suggests on her blog Dynamist.com that daily blog posts are so Web 1.0. The thought is that too frequent posting is driving away readers. With so many blogs, and doubling every six months, readers can not keep up. I'm don't believe it, but it is an interesting thought.


----------
Technorati tags: , , ,

No comments: