Monday, January 09, 2006

Problems with public schools reported by John Stossel

EducationNews.org today links to a column reviewing a recent special report on "20/20" by John Strossel. He had a provocative title: "Are American Kids Stupid?" I missed the report. From the column it looks like it was a good report.

John Strossel covered some of the problems with public education. He mentions how when American students enter public schools they are comparable with students in other countries, but over time they fall behind.

His solution is to have some kind of voucher system. I think vouchers would be a great improvement, but for reasons I discussed before, I don't think they are going to happen any time soon.

Update I:

In reading Joanne Jacobs' blog I realized I hadn't read the Newsmax column closely enough. John Stossel's report is airing this Friday, Friday the 13th. We'll watch it. I wonder if it will be a bad luck Friday for public education.

Update II:

John Stossel has a column with more information about his report. He argues for competition in education.

2 comments:

Debra J.M. Smith said...

For many years, I have said that public schools and teachers believe that we have children, to give public school employees jobs.

We home schooled both of our daughters.

You may like to read the rest of the above article that is on my site: http://www.debrajmsmith.com/021710HL1.html

Debra...
of
Informing Christians

Henry Cate said...

"For many years, I have said that public schools and teachers believe that we have children, to give public school employees jobs."

That is a great quote!

Thanks for sharing.