Saturday, October 03, 2009

It's that time of year again

It's that time of year when independent homeschoolers in California need to file a private school affidavit. I use the word "independent" to mean homeschoolers who are not registered with a private school satellite program or a study-at-home program through a public school. ( I imagine most homeschoolers would consider themselves the independent type regardless of how they fulfill the legal requirements, I just don't have another word for it.)

The California Department of Education has a special affidavit form for schools with five or fewer students.

There are quite of few web sites that offer step by step guidelines, such as Homeschool Association of California, Home School Legal Defense Association, and the California Homeschool Network, just to name a few.

It is too late tonight and I can't bring myself to do it yet, but I've got until October 15th.


Happy filing!


Update: I went and checked to see what I posted in previous years. I am so predictable. I used the title "It's the time of year again" in both 2008 and 2007.


----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, parenting, children, education

5 comments:

Fatcat said...

I do that too, use the same titles! After 5 years of blogging, it's hard not to repeat myself!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Well, bless your heart. I'm sorry you have to do that. Hope it is going well with the family and specially little Baby Bop. :]

DTH Rocket said...

Grrr, California makes me angry. It seems to me that the parents should have the first and foremost right to educate their children as they please. I wish government wouldn't poke its nose in.

silvermine said...

I'd say it's one of the easier states, but then I've never homeschooled in the others.

It's the same thing all private schools in the state must do, including religious schools and academic private schools. We're really treated no different, except that the website search engine only lists private schools with 6 or more students (I like that privacy).

But they can't say what we should teach, make the kids take a test, or evaluate portfolios or anything. We don't have to ask permission to have a private school, they have no right to deny us.

Crimson Wife said...

I'll be curious to see whether the PSA numbers are down this year. A significant number of families in my local support group who previously HS under the PSA option are now enrolled in virtual charter schools because of the economy. Many of them are not happy about being in a charter but it was the only way they could afford to keep their kids out of a traditional school. And a handful of families had to quit HS entirely because the primary educator needed to return to full-time employment :-(