Monday, August 03, 2009

Does our society cause ADHD?

I think there are many in our society who are too quick to label, and then medicate. There has been a huge increase in children, mostly boys, who are diagnosed as having ADHD. Our society seemed to do just fine a generation or two ago, before every fifteenth children was tagged with ADHD.

In Rushing our children Dana of Principled Discovery wonders if our society is facilitating the development of ADHD. The opening story is just wonderful:

----------
On the way to gymnastics this week, my Baby Bear shouted, “No! Stop!” as we were approaching the railroad tracks. I instinctively slowed down.
“What’s wrong?” I asked.
“Railroad tracks,” he said matter-of-factly.
“Yes, dear. But there’s no train.”
“I know. Can we wait for one?”

----------

Unfortunately I'm going to have to rush off to work pretty soon.


----------
Technorati tags: ADHD

1 comment:

Dana said...

Glad you enjoyed the story. I love children's perspective on every day things. It helps me to remember to make the choice to appreciate life.