Thursday, August 14, 2008

Michael Phelps' mom - Standing up to the public schools

I enjoyed SwitchedOnMom's post on Give that Mom a Medal. She writes about how Michael Phelps' mother supported Michael even when the public school was trying label him ADD. One teacher told the mom: "Your son will never be able to focus on anything."

After all the gold medals I wonder if the teacher has any regrets for not being more supportive?

I wonder how many thousands of students have similar potential, but will never realize it, because the public schools are not designed to help children soar.


---------
Technorati tags: children, government schools, public school, public education, education

2 comments:

NerdMom said...

I love how the Times lauded her for bucking the system. The funny part is that they don't support parents who do it (by homeschooling) everyday to give their children what is best.

Henry Cate said...

I hadn't thought about that, but you are right, there is kind of a double standard.

Many people seem to see high school as a place for sports. I guess you can take children out of the government schools if they are on the sports track, but not for other reasons.

Funny.