Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Uh.....thanks, I guess

Today, Baby Bop began speech therapy. About 3o minutes before the speech therapist was due to arrive, I got a call from my neighbor. Her car wouldn't start and she and her son were stuck at the library. I jumped in the car with Baby Bop and left my second and third daughters at home while I went to pick up my neighbor's son. When I got back, the speech therapist had already arrived.

The speech therapist was quite complimentary of my older children. She went on and on about how impressed she was with my daughters. However, I wasn't sure how to respond to her last compliment.

"Your daughters are so wonderful. I wouldn't never have guessed that they were homeschooled."


Uh.....thanks, I guess.


----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, parenting, children, education

6 comments:

Idaho Dad said...

I've received back-handed compliments like that too. Like, "I'm surprised your son gets along so well with normal kids."

I don't talk to that friend anymore.

Janine Cate said...

"normal kids"

I just had to laugh when I read that.

Crimson Wife said...

We get similar backhanded compliments frequently: "You homeschool? But you're so *NORMAL*." Absolutely makes me want to scream!

Kerry said...

Oh, I'm sure she meant it as a compliment even if it was quite back-handed! That made me laugh right out loud. I can see myself saying something stupid like that and realizing I'd done so about two seconds after my lips quit moving.

It sounds like you gave grace even if it left you a little dumbfounded. :) You've wooed with honey rather than shooed them with vinegar - GOOD FOR YOU!

Janine Cate said...

I must say that the speech therapist is very, very nice. She asked me a lot of questions about homeschooling. Two of her other clients are struggling homeschoolers and often ask her for advice. She asked me for recommendations on books and web sites she could give point them to.

Anonymous said...

I am a speech pathologist and a homeschooler. I think if someone was surprised my kids were homeschooled, I might wonder if my kids had been acting up. :)