Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Planning, Covey, and Cat's in the cradle

I've been doing planning in the morning with my daughters for four weeks now. It seems to be working. At least the girls are in the habit of thinking about the day and making some plans.

Part of our routine is my older two daughters read from some calendars they got for Christmas. My middle daughter reads the comic strip for the day for Baby Blues. All three of my daughters love to read the Baby Blues comic strips.

The next step in our routine is for my oldest daughter to read for her 7 Habits of Highly Effective People calendar. Yesterday's thought by Stephen Covey was:

"People often find themselves achieving victories that are empty successes - they've come at the expense of things they suddenly realize were far more valuable to them. How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in midn, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most."

I asked my daughters what the thought meant. They weren't really sure. I explained that some times people can get distracted and spend time on trivial things. I turned to Janine and said this is exactly what Cat's in the Cradle is saying. My daughters had blanks looks. What?

This is a problem with getting old is it takes awhile for the younger generation to catch up on the important songs. I've since showed them "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin:




----------
Technorati tags: life, balance, life balance, Baby Blues, Stephen Covey, Harry Chapin

No comments: