Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Humor: I've suffered? Why wasn't I informed so I could complain?

I was just talking with my daughters about the Harry Chapin song "Cat's in the Cradle." My youngest asked where parents learn bad habits like spending too much time at work and ignoring their children. I explained that the father probably learned it from his father.

Then she asked did parents ever change? I acknowledged that some parents learn and become different parents, hopefully better parents. In some families you can see dramatic differences between the older siblings and younger siblings.

Years ago I had a good manager whose father died when he was young. I think my manager and his sister were teenagers at the time. Their mother remarried. The step-father wasn't a good guy. My manager and his sister turned out well. They had stable jobs. Their young siblings were greatly influenced by the step-father and both were living on the street the last I knew.

I told my youngest daughter that I thought Janine and I were better parents. That there were times we had been a bit harsh to our oldest. My oldest joined in joking with: "I've suffered? Why wasn't I informed so I could complain?"

Maybe we aren't doing too badly.


----------
Technorati tags: life, family

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, i like the ideea of homeschool. but always it will be a problem with the recognize of these education in front of public institution. for example in my country romania from europe does not exist homeschool concept. unfortunatly! ambiguitatea@yahoo.com