Thursday, November 08, 2007

Book review: "What Happened To Penny Candy?" By Richard Maybury

Using LinkedIn I’ve recently connected with a friend from twenty years ago. We’ve exchanged some emails and will try to get together when he is back in town. When my friend learned that I had three daughters he recommended several books by Richard J. Maybury. I requested a couple from my library. The first one I got was What Happened To Penny Candy?

What Happened To Penny Candy? is a short book of 80 pages. It is a quick read. The book is structured as a set of letters from “Uncle Eric” to his nephew “Chris.” In these letters the book explains the basics of economics. It does a good job. Over the last thirty years I’ve read dozens, maybe even hundreds, of books on economics. This book does a good job of covering the basics. I even learned a few things. For example I didn’t realize that the reason quarters and dimes were lined with the little ridges on the side was to show if little pieces were clipped off the coin.

Richard Maybury, the author, writes from a strong Libertarian viewpoint. He explains why government manipulation causes problems. Someone who feels government is the solution to economic problems will not enjoy this book.

I’ll return the book to the library and buy my own copy. I plan to have each of my daughters read this book. It is short enough that they won’t fuss too much about having to ready a dry topic. Economics is an important subject, one that I want my daughters to master.


----------
Technorati tags: book, review, economics

3 comments:

ChristineMM said...

The books by Maybury are in lots of homeschool supply catalogs and it seems everyone recommends them. I haven't yet bought any but plan to.

Thanks for sharing your review.

If you have time would you give your opinion on an age range for the book? Also would it be good to read it aloud to younger kids or should the whole thing just wait until high school?

Most recommend these books for high schoolers or 7th or 8th grade. What say you?

Thanks!!

gary said...

My own son (now 12) read this book a year or so ago. He was so impressed by the explanations about inflation given in the book that he has on several occasions explained this to other children.
In fact his mom did a short review back then of Whatever Happened to Penny Candy on our blog.
I'd say the age range starts younger than 7th grade, especially if your child reads well.

Henry Cate said...

Gary is right, a 7th grader could read this book. The meat of the book is only about 50 pages. I'll probably read at least some of it to my seven year old daughter. She would have trouble reading the book on her own, but she won't have any trouble understanding the concepts.