Friday, November 09, 2007

Are you looking for a free education?

Cindy Downes found Teacher Tube. This is kind of a YouTube for education. Teachers put up videos of them teaching various topics.

This is part of the reason I believe there is a coming revolution in higher education. If you can get 98% online of what you want from college, but at a fraction of the price, many people will opt for the cheaper version. I don't think colleges will go away, but I do think there will be some fundamental changes, and the price will come down.


----------
Technorati tags: college, university, tuition, education, rising, cost, online

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pray you're right about that! I'm currently pursuing my master's degree online, but it would be nice to see some reasonable tuition rates at physical campuses by the time my children get there.

A serious drop within the next 7-8 years would be nice - my oldest is only six, but he's homeschooled (of course) and he's smart and he's advancing faster than even I had hoped, so the sooner the better!

Henry Cate said...

I don't have any sense of how soon there will be a change, or the nature of the change. If I could figure those out I probably could make some serious money.

Chris Anderson in "The Long Tail" points out that cheaper manufactoring costs have prompted a ton of changes. I haven't seen a good reason on why the cost for a college education climbs twice as fast as inflation, year after year.

With the internet and cheap computers I think there should be a change.

It will be interesting to see.