Friday, August 17, 2007

I forgot to mention the Carnival of Education

Soccer season has started. I'm coaching my youngest daughter's team. We had our first two practices this week. This has risen the level of chaos in our life another notch. This distracted me from this week's Carnival of Education, hosted at Education Matters US.

The carnival linked to an interesting, and scary, post about Ritalin Use in Schools: It’s the System, Not The Children. The opening paragraph set the tone:

"Most of you have probably read Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Have you ever thought about how these truly American boys would be treated in today’s government schools? One Doctor has contemplated this. Below is what he has concluded."

The post goes on to explain how the public school system is drugging boys for perfectly normal behavior. It is an interesting contrast. Homeschoolers get hit with one or two instances of bad homeschooling; however, public schools are allowed to continue horrible practices.

Joseph Stalin once said: "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."


----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, parenting, children, education

1 comment:

redhead83402 said...

WOW & double WOW ~ My daughter was supposedly one of those ~Ritalin kids~ her teacher claimed she was simply unreasonable in class, etc, etc, I took her to the doctor, he prescibed it, she took it, for one week, then I couldnt' stand it any longer. My previously bouncy, happy bright daughter had turned into a living zombie, who didn't ever want to eat. Instead, I decided to put her in karate classes, & homeschool her. While it sickens me that she was actually on that drug for a whole week, what sickens me more is that there are SCORES of parents out there who just believe that the teacher & the doctor are right, and hence you have some pretty awful things happening in society. If you are interested, I have an article sent to me by a fellow homeschooler dealing specifically with Ritalin & other psychiatric drugs, and the havoc it is wreaking in America today.
By the by, I am in my first yr of homeschooling and came upon your blog ( and a very informative, nice blog it is, too)through the guilt free homeschooling blog list.
~Red