Saturday, August 18, 2007

A fired teacher is still collecting a salary and has even gotten two raises

Over a year ago I use to post about scary teachers. I decided to stop mainly because I wanted to show the value of homeschooling. Attacking the problems with public schools, while easy, is a negative approach. Janine and I still mention problems with public schools, but our focus is really why most parents should homeschool and the benefits of homeschooling.

Jerry Pournelle has done a number of things in his life. He may be best known for writing Science Fiction. He blogs at Chaos Manor. Chaos Manor mail is a record of email from people and his responses.

My father sent me a link to this week's Chaos Manor mail. Down a bit is a link to pretty scary teacher story. A teacher in Alabama was fired, but still continues to collect paychecks, and has even gotten two raises. I thought the whole point of firing someone was they no longer worked for you and you didn't have to pay them. Alabama has some law designed to protect teachers.

I don't have words to comment on this.


----------
Technorati tags: public, school, education

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least the state legislators want review the law.

It reminds me of a vice-principal at my high school that took YEARS (and according to some 'insiders,' hundreds of thousands of dollars) to fire, despites numerous accusations of harassment (sexual and otherwise).

Henry Cate said...

We know of a similar situation locally. A teacher was horrible to her students. The school district tried to fire her. Adults who had her at students came to testify. Even ten and fifteen years later it was still upsetting. Some of these adult who had been students cried during their testimony. The school district was not successful in their attempts to fire her. Finally after years the teacher retired.