Thursday, August 31, 2006

Random and fun thoughts

From Dan Galvin's Thought For The Day came:

-----
It takes a lot of things to prove you are smart,
but only one thing to prove you are ignorant.

-Don Herold
From the Masters:
25 Aug 2006
-----


And some where awhile back I came across this saying:

-----

"You say the little efforts that I make will do no good; that they never will prevail to tip the hovering scale where justice hangs in the balance. I don't think I ever thought they would. But I am prejudiced beyond debate in favor of my right to choose which side shall feel the stubborn ounces of my weight."

- Bonaro Overstreet

-----

I think about this now and then as I blog. I don't expect to ever be as big and influential as Instapundit. I do hope that my few ounces have made a difference now and then. That maybe some child is now being homeschooled who otherwise might have been stuck in a horrible public school.



And finally today's A Word A Day is palinode, which means: A poem in which the author retracts something said in an earlier poem.

The illustrator and humorist Gelett Burgess (1866-1951) once wrote a poem called The Purple Cow:

I never saw a purple cow,
I never hope to see one;
But I can tell you, anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one.

The poem became so popular and he became so closely linked with this single quatrain he later wrote a palinode:

Confession: and a Portrait, Too,
Upon a Background that I Rue!

Oh, yes, I wrote 'The Purple Cow,
'I'm sorry now I wrote it!
But I can tell you anyhow,
I'll kill you if you quote it."

And now you know the rest of the story.


----------
Technorati tags: , , , , ,

No comments: