Monday, August 21, 2006

Home Based Education

We received a very nice comment which pointed out that "home based education" is a better term than "homeschooling."

The people here seem to forget that "homeschooling" is a misnomer. It is "home-based education". As a homeschooling parent myself, I handle the math and science instruction (math major) and English reading and writing (I work as a translator). My wife teaches her Japanese. We both teach her how to cook. My mother (former secretary) teaches handwriting. My father (avid artist as a hobby) does arts and crafts. A piano teacher at the local university provides piano instruction. She also participates in other art and gymnastics classes.

She has an avid interest in nature. This week, she will catch and tag butterflies at a local park with their homeschooling program.

We find the best learning opportunties for our kids.
This is "homeschooling" today.

JapanDude



This got me thinking about our "homeschool" experience.

Henry's father teaches the kids chess at our homeschool co-op. Henry's sister teaches our girls horse back riding. We hire a piano teacher and soon will be adding violin and clarinet instructors. Henry handles the "enrichment" topics and anything involving pets. (Any time one of the kids asks for a new pet, I tell them, "I am not on that committee. Go talk to your father.") We utilize the local sports leagues and Parks and Recreation classes for much of our PE instruction.

Once our children learn to read, many subjects are self taught. I pick out or help them pick out good books and other materials, and they "teach" themselves. For example, I make math assignments. The older girls read the chapter in the book themselves and do the sample problems. I check the problems and they correct them, usually without any help from me. Then they do the assignment and we repeat the process. The few exceptions to this process are are creative writing and hand writing instruction.

I don't prepare lectures like a teacher in a class room. We talk spontaneously about the information they are reading. (The hard part is trying to get them to stop talking about what they are reading.) I try to guide the process, but when they show initiative, I step back and let them "run with the ball" where ever that may lead. And, of course, we travel.

Instructional DVDs are useful for things like Latin and typing. In addition, my oldest daughter watches classroom style lectures on DVD from a private school to supplement her history and science reading.


Many mistakenly envision homeschooling as a parent at home imitating the typical classroom instruction. I don't know any homeschoolers who educate their children in that "school" model. At the first homeschooling conference we attended 8 years ago, the presenter made the point that homeschooling was NOT school at home. With the passing of years I better understand what that means. I am not limited by the constraints of a classroom setting. I am not burdened with a rigid curriculum. I am not the sole source of instruction to a classroom of students with varying needs and abilities.

With home based education, instead of a 20+ students per teacher, I have 20+ teachers per student.

---------------------------
Related Tags:
, , , ,

5 comments:

Green Darner said...

"Home-based education"


Yes! That's exactly the phrase I've been looking for! Thanks!

I agree that it more acurately describes what we do than the term "homeschooling".

I think I'll use that from now on when people ask where my kids go to school.

Anonymous said...

I like that, Janine! "Schooling" really is not the right word for how we administrate our children's education. Home-based is much better! Thank you!

KarenW said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

20 teachers per child! Yes, we have piano, art, tennis and a dozen or so people teaching my kids Romanian (friends, etc).

Anonymous said...

Great post!

I just started reading your blog, I'm a new homeschooler too ~ I mean a new person to home based education. That is such a great description. Thanks for sharing it. :) My husband has a couple of days off from work starting tomorrow and he agreed to look at some home based stuff with me online - I know he envisions school at home, whereas I lean more toward what is identified as unschooling, though I don't have a particular method I am following (if I will ever!).

Thanks again! :)