Thursday, May 04, 2006

Some homeschool humor

Awhile back I came across a web site with some funny homeschool stories. Here are a few of them:


I overheard my 7 year old daughter talking to the neighbor girl. The neighbor girl was telling my daughter that she didn't have to go to school that day because of parent-teacher conferences. My daughter asked her what that meant and the neighbor girl explained it was when her Mom talked to her teacher. "Oh, we have that in home schooling too," replied my daughter. I was a bit puzzled until my daughter added, "My Mom talks to herself all the time." (Kelli from CA)


When I first started homeschooling, I read the books that said in effect 'your toddlers will learn amazing things right along with your older kids.' I thought it may be true for others, but how much can a little kid actually assimilate? One of the ideas I used in my homeschool is turning our kitchen table into a constant source of geography by putting a world map on the table and a clear piece of plastic for a tablecloth over it. Messy housekeeper that I am, I had a very hard time keeping this clean and we have since had the map decoupaged onto the table. I walked in to find my two year old sitting on top of our kitchen table. I walked up to him ready with my outstretched hand to swat his behind for being on the table (an infraction he'd been spanked for before). As I approached, ready to strike, he pointed and said in his baby voice, "Look, Mama, Staylia!" I hesitated for just a second when he said, "Cocodiles. Staylia." As I diverted my attention from his rear end to the map...low and behold...he was pointing to Australia. My ready swat became a "Goooooood Boy!! That is Australia. Crocodiles DO live in Australia." From that day on I was a believer. Even MY youngest children benefit from our homeschool. (Jenn from Indiana)

If you enjoyed this, go check out the complete collection.


----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, education, , ,

No comments: