Wednesday, November 11, 2015

My oldest's thoughts about homeschooling

Hello, Everyone!

I am the eldest and I am back in town for the next bit. Dad asked me to write a post. One of the things I have noticed while I have been home is how adaptable homeschooling is for my family. I have a distinctly different learning style than some of my younger siblings. Homeschooling has allowed our family to adapt, first to my needs and then to theirs.

I was a late reader. My Mom was able to alter the curriculum to meet my needs and then alter it back as I learned to read. We went through several different spelling programs before we found one that worked for our family.

I am an auditory learner. I used an online program of recorded classes for History, Science, and English. For Math, we used Saxon text books and when I had problems with we added DIVE, a recorded math tutoring program. One of my sisters on the other hand, does better in groups or interacting with people and so she takes some classes at a local private school.

Homeschooling has worked really well for our family and one of the reasons has been how we were able to customize the curriculum.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice post.Thanks for sharing your thoughts Henry.
Homeschooling has historically been a method to allow children to excel above public school standards,plus protect morals.Many homeschool families use an individualized curriculum that starts by diagnosing gaps in foundational concepts.Homeschool

Chris James said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Home school is good option for those who wanted to study at home. Now a days online home schooling is demanding. In online school, student can learn at their own pace under the observations of parents.