Monday, February 02, 2015

Announcing a change to the Carnival of Homeschooling

The Carnival of Homeschooling has had a good run.  It has had a lot of participation and support over the last nine years.  But it is clear that there is much less interest in the carnival.  During the first six or seven years a typical carnival would receive 25 to 40 posts.  And the host would get hundreds, and sometimes in a thousand or two extra visits.  Now we have carnivals getting 5 to 10 submissions, and only a few dozen people will pop into read it.

A month ago I sent out emails to the currently active hosts.  I asked for their thoughts and suggestions.  I tried to be neutral as I summarized the problems and listed several alternatives.  The majority of the responses echoed what I had thought was the right thing to do.

So starting now the Carnival of Homeschooling is switching to once a month.  The carnival will be published on the second Tuesday of the month.  

Pretty much everything else will stay the same.  The email to submit the posts to is the same.  The deadline will be the day before, at 6:00 PM PST.  We are interested in pretty much any reasonable post about homeschooling.

I expect that this will give people more time to think about a post and that the carnivals will be larger now, maybe back in the 25 to 40 range.

If you have any questions, please leave a comment or send me an email.

I apologize for leaving things in limbo for a couple weeks.  I've struggled a bit with the change and was reluctant, but I do think it is the right thing to do.


No comments: