Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Some good thoughts on things to teach your children about money

I enjoyed Penelope Trunk's post on What do rich parents do that poor parents don't?

She makes the point that parents from different classes have different approaches to what and how to teach their children.  One of the best things we can do for our children is to be as conscious as possible about the lessons we teach them.  If we can make sure to teach them the good lessons we have learned and to avoid teaching them the bad lessons we have learned, then our children will be off to a great start.

Penelope start's her post with:

----------
Yefet went on a trip with Melissa. It was so exciting to watch them leave because they always do amazing things while they're together. But I couldn't help thinking, while I was dropping them off at the airport, that my kids are growing up like rich kids. It's the last thing I expected after moving to rural Wisconsin.
The reason they are growing up like rich kids is not so much the money (he could have gone on a driving trip with Melissa and had the same advantages,) but because of my mentality that I trust him to be smart and interesting and to make a life from that. And I don't trust school.
I think a lot about the difference between how rich people think about education and how everyone else thinks about education. So I was interested to read that rich people worry less about their kids getting into dangerous situations online than poor parents do.
----------

One of my favorite paragraphs is:

----------
What I'm trying to tell you is that it's a poverty mentality to send your kids to school. The values of school are for people who start at a disadvantage. The US school system is about making things equal for everyone. If you start out on the better side of equal, why would you put your kids in a system designed to reduce their advantage?
----------

Hat tip: Homeschoolbuzz.com

No comments: