Monday, March 17, 2014

University essay from a homeschooler

Our daughter was recently accepted to a University with a high standard.  We weren't sure she would make it.  Two weeks ago she got the exciting email that she was accepted.

Here is her essay:

----------
University: Tell us anything else you want us to know about yourself that you haven't had the opportunity to describe elsewhere in the application. Include any special circumstances, experiences, etc. that could influence your admission to the university. (250 words maximum)

I have been homeschooled since kindergarten. Because I was homeschooled, my mom was able to adjust my education around my reading disabilities. I struggled with reading and spelling all through grade school. I didn’t read well until I was almost ten years old. The summer before I turned ten, I finally started to enjoy reading. I went from being unable to read to reading The Lord of the Rings in a year.

I am very self-driven and know how to learn. I love reading and writing; I have participated in NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month, twice completing a fifty thousand word novel each time. I am currently working on a third. Participating in NaNoWriMo is what finally got me spelling more accurately. I wrote over fifty thousand words in a month. Spell check caught a lot of incorrectly spelled words. The constant correction and effort finally changed my spelling level.

I know how to overcome learning difficulties. I’m a hard worker and I love books. I want to help other people overcome obstacles and progress. That’s why I want to go to this university and become a speech pathologist.
----------

2 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Congrats! Irony would be if she later got a job in a public school...

Henry Cate said...

I think we are pretty safe. She recognizes many of the problems with government schools.