Friday, March 16, 2012

Another sign of our changing world

Encyclopaedia Britannica to end print editions starts with:

----------
CHICAGO — Encyclopaedia Britannica Inc. said Tuesday that it will stop publishing print editions of its flagship encyclopedia for the first time since the sets were originally published more than 200 years ago.


The book-form of Encyclopaedia Britannica has been in print since it was first published in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1768. It will stop being available when the current stock runs out, the company said. The Chicago-based company will continue to offer digital versions of the encyclopedia.


Officials said the end of the printed, 32-volume set has been foreseen for some time.
----------

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not only a home-school parent, I am also a current college student. Your blog caught my eye today,since I had just finished a paper on communication and how our world's technology has evolved, the impacts, etc, etc.
With the invention of the Internet and the ability to digitally have all information at your finger tips, I also have wondered how long it will be before our children ask us, wow! you actually had real books when you were a child? or at least our grand-children will. It's a mixed feeling I have, part of me sees all the benefits are digital world offers, but another part of me is sadden by what the world may be like not to be able to just pick up a book at a store...
Thanks for sharing a topic that makes your readers think!


Keri, Proud momma to a Puzzle makerwizard!

Fatcat said...

I love books so this seems sad. I remember looking everything up in the encyclopedia when I was a kid. We have a set and sometimes I make the kids look things up and them and sometimes let them use the internet.

Henry Cate said...

I think for at least the next ten years books are safe. Amazon seems to be doing well. While a lot of information is moving to the internet there is still a place for books. I love holding a good book and marking up the key thoughts. I think it is much more effective than reading it online.