Friday, October 28, 2011

Interesting study on gun ownership by state

Janine and I took a pistol safety class a couple months ago.  Once soccer season and the Christmast season have passed we are planning on signing our daughters up for the class in January. 

Given our recent interest in guns I found this article interesting: Gun Ownership by State.

I won't have guessed there was such a dramatic difference in percentage of households which own guns.  The DC district only has 3.8% and Hawaii only has 8.7%, but in contrast Wyoming has 59.7% and Montana has 57.7%. 

Hat tip: Instapundit

3 comments:

Dual Role Grandma said...

Interesting. Baby has a sudden interest in guns. We started with a BB gun, as she's under 12 and we aren't sure this interest will continue. But so far, so good.

kat said...

40.5% up here in Maine. I'm surprised it is that low as hunting season just started and I swear at least half the state is tromping in the woods trying to kill something. My only reason to own a gun (we have 3, plus 2 BB guns) is to kill a bad guy. However, Maine is pretty safe, whereas DC has to be one of the most unsafe places in the country. I would get several guns and not register them if I lived there.

Henry Cate said...

Dual Role Grandma - Does she practice a lot?

Kat - I read recently read an interesting comparison. Here's a snippet:

----------
There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin .

Allow me to restate that number.

Over the last several months, Wisconsin 's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world.

More men under arms than in Iran .

More than in France and Germany combined.
----------

I wonder where Maine ranks?