Monday, July 04, 2011

Summer School - Part 2

Last week I shared our summer school check list.



So, here's an update on how it is working.





1) Not everything on the list gets done.



This still surprising me. We are still working on the concept that work comes before play and that the work isn't done until it is all done.





2) We are struggling to get the daily chores done (those not specifically listed on the check list.)



Things that need to happen every day like dishes and laundry are not getting done as well as before. If it is not specifically spelled out in detail on each child's list, then nobody thinks she should do it.


We were hoping to keep the lists simply and short, but I'm thinking I may need to add the daily chores. We've been reluctant to do this also because the division of labor isn't as evenly distributed before hand since I can't always predict what the big jobs are going to be ahead of time. Sometime breakfast dishes are big and lunch is small or vice a versa. When I preassign duties, one kid can get stuck with a lot more work on a particular day.




3) Some children at our house (who shall remain nameless) are indignant that they have to do academic subjects during the summer. It is perceived by the child as a punishment or a sign of failure.



Talking hasn't gotten me very far on this one. Part of the problem is that I'm putting my primary attention not on the academic work by the older kids, but on the OT (occupational therapy and speech therapy) work that I need to do with our youngest son (Baby Bop). I just want the school work to get done. I don't have the energy to talk about it.


4) I don't feel like I'm getting as much done as I used to.

I think I'm just getting old.


We've never made it past the 4 of July before in our "summer school" efforts. So I will do an update next week and let you know how it is going.

2 comments:

rose said...

Take heart, you are not alone!
Your first list encouraged me to give summer learning another shot. It worked for 2 days, the tiniest of victories. I get frustrated at the concept that this is summer, we're all on break. I know what you mean about needing to concentrate on one area and hoping the big kids will pull through and pick up the slack in the other areas. So frustrating when they don't want to keep up.

I find that mine are best at doing chores when they feel that I'm doing mine at the same time. Of course, this does not translate into having a desire to get up at 530 with me and get started on the day!

Wendy Kelly said...

We're trying to keep up with our math and second language this summer, and so far, not one of us (kids or me (mom)) has had the heart to actually go through with anything. It's just to warm (finally). I'll try to keep up with your blog over the summer and live vicariously through your efforts ;)
I haven't given up completely on the idea, but certainly we aren't as motivated as we thought we would be: )
Glad to have found your blog, and I look forward to reading more!