Thursday, October 21, 2010

Some thoughts on why higher education is so expensive

The Real Cost Equation is a column about what higher education climbs faster than inflation. This is an issue I have often written about.

The authors, Robert B. Archibald and David H. Feldman, provide a good summary of what many perceive as the causes of rapidly climbing college tuition. They have recently written a book on this subject called Why Does College Cost So Much?

While I admire their summary of the problems associated with tuition inflation, the second part of their column fell flat for me. Basically they claim that there really isn't much we can do about this problem. I find it fascinating the many people take them to task for this conclusion in the comments.

(Hat tip: Instpundit)

1 comment:

Jo said...

When i think about my university experience, i could have done the degree in two years rather than four, most of my lectures turned out to be in the evening, so i could have done it as a part time degree and the year i left, they overhauled the whole department and changed the course so much that it made me wonder if there was anything relevant on my course.