Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I think I am getting old

From A.Word.A.Day:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel, theology professor (1907-1972)

This reminds me of a line Jimmy Stewart says in Harvey:

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" -- she always called me Elwood -- "In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you may quote me."

More and more I'm seeing the value of being kind and pleasant.

1 comment:

Ruralmama said...

You and me both. I am getting so fed up with mean, if that isn't an oxymoronic statement to make. But I'm not sure I'm ready to accept "old" yet! :-) "Older", maybe....

I'm not sure how you guys feel about blogging awards, but I nominated you for one, because your site is always so thoughtful. If you would like to pick it up, you can find it here: http://homeschoolontheedgeofnowhere.blogspot.com/2010/10/when-life-gives-you-shock-stop-rubbing.html

Thanks again for your insightful commentary!