Monday, June 28, 2010

Test results

Most years I do standardized testing as a way to spot check myself. It gives me something tangible as proof that my children are on track. [I admit that there is some debate on the validity and usefulness of this kind of testing, but I do so love those little graphs and percentiles.]

Since at the end of the year, I always wish we had done more, testing relieves my anxiety. I feel especially guilty about my youngest daughter. I did a lot more one on one with the older girls, as well as more fun projects and recreational classes.

I also used to spend more time preparing for the test. This year I just handed them the test booklet and said do your best.

The test results came in the mail yesterday. I was happy to see that all the kids did well. Spelling is the only area that needs improvement.

As for my youngest daughter, she outscored her sisters yet again in every subject. She even scored above average in spelling, which makes her a superstar in this family.

I can see why unschooling attracts such a following.


----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, parenting, children, education, government schools, children, public school, public education

5 comments:

ChristineMM said...

I'm so close to doing standardized testing just to see what happens!

Anonymous said...

Janine, Do you mind sharing which standardized test you used? Have you tried more than one or have you used the same one each time? thanks - Maureen

Janine Cate said...

We use the CAT5 test from Thurber Educational Assessments. Their website is www.thurbers.net.

Pamela said...

When we were homeschooling through a charter school, and standardized tests were required, I never liked having my kids take them. We're eclectically unschoolish and I guess I was just philosophically opposed to my kids being judged and graded that way. It bothered me much more than the kids though- I was offended while they just thought it was a silly waste of time, but the testers gave out snacks, so they didn't mind too much. Even though I knew my kids were learning plenty of things, I guess it was slightly validating when I looked back at the results to see that even if I didn't go by standards, they really were doing fine with them anyway.

Janine Cate said...

>I guess it was slightly validating when I looked back at the results to see that even if I didn't go by standards, they really were doing fine with them anyway.

It is kind of funny when you think about it. We are doing better on the "standards" without purposely teaching them than the average school which teaches to the test.