Monday, June 14, 2010

Crash and Burn

Every year about this time, I "crash and burn." I always say that we will "do school" during the summer. In 9 years of homeschooling, it has never happened. That is not to say that we don't do worthwhile things, but I don't seem to be able to force myself to do structured educational activities like I planned.

This year might be a little different. I'm trying to keep some basic routines going. My goal is music (two of 3 instruments per child) and math, and just a little grammar, and while we are at it, a writing workshop or two. You may recognize a pattern here. I keep adding things until it looks like a full schedule and I'm tempted to go back to vacation mode.

It is too soon to tell whether this year's fantasy will turn into reality. Today is the first day of "summer break." The big test will be what I do after the girls get back from a week of church camp. Once you've let the routine go for a whole week, it gets harder to get the momentum moving again.


----------
Technorati tags: parenting, children, education, government schools, public school, public education, homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education

2 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

I never did school in the summer with my kids, but it was mainly because I needed a chance to recharge after a busy year. :o)

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

Carol J. Alexander said...

Sounds just like me! I always end the year feeling like we didn't do enough and then 'plan' to do it in the summer, then give up. However, my kids are not behind, so whatever it was that we never got to in the school year must not have been that important after all.