Monday, June 01, 2009

The Rest of the Story

As Henry mentioned, we finalized Baby Bop's adoption today. It was a bit anti-climatic. The court house is a bit creepy and a lot of really scary people hang out in the halls waiting for court. However, the judge was very sweet and it is very nice to be done.

So, here's the rest of the story.

Sunday at church I noticed that my head itched. After we got home, my daughter said, "Mom, I found a bug in my hair."

Ahhhhh! You guessed it. All the girls in the family, including me, had lice. I went into delousing mode. A friend came over and went through my hair while I worked on the girls. It looked like something on Animal Plant or National Geographic, family grooming.

Just to be on the safe side, I gave Henry and Baby Bop a buzz cut. It was so disappointing to cut off his pretty curls the day before the adoption. In the pictures, Baby Bop looks like he just enlisted in the army.

Oh, and did I mention that my brother was in town for a visit for the first time in about 8 years? I hope he doesn't go home with a souvenir.

At 6:30 am this morning, I called my in-laws and asked for help. They came over and took about 12+ load of bedding to the laundry mat for us. After another round of delousing and changing all the bedding yet again, we went to the court house for our adoption hearing.

The judge asked Baby Bop if he wanted to be adopted. Baby Bop kept shaking his head "no." I don't think that he realizes that we are not his natural parents.

Oh, did I mention that we are in the middle of standardized testing? Every year I end our homeschool with some sort of standardized test. This year I'm using the CAT5. I figure it is good practice for college entrance exams and it can help me see what I have missed.

After we got home, I ran to the store to get last minute supplies for a party in the park with 100+ of our closest friends. This party included 6 categories of our friends (church, homeschool, preschool, neighborhood, Henry's work, relatives), so many people did not know each other. Just trying to greet everyone and make introductions was a bit stressful.

Baby Bop had a great time at the party. There were many kids to play with and he didn't want to come home and go to bed.

After the party, I had my middle daughter go through my hair one more time just to be sure while my oldest daughter put Baby Bop to bed, and Henry worked on the Carnival of Homeschool.

Side note: I must say my hair feels and looks great. One of the treatment options we tried is soaking your hair in olive oil. I'm definately going to do that again.

Oh, and did I mention that at 10 am tomorrow, our licensing social worker is coming over for a home inspection to renew our foster care license?

It is a bit ironic. I barely even talked to Baby Bop today.


Update:

We had our foster care inspection. Our foster care license was suspended because our contractor didn't get the proper permits when he did our remodel. The good news is that we have 30 days to take care of it and it shouldn't be too complicated to repair.



---------
Technorati tags: , ,

2 comments:

abba12 said...

Not meaning this the wrong way, I know you guys will make great adoptive parents, but why did the judge ask him if he wanted to be adopted if he was going to ignore his no? :P

Congratulations!

Janine Cate said...

His age does not require that he say yes. I think she just expected him to say "yes" and thought it would be cute. He is very speech delayed and is on the level of a 12 month old in expressive language.