Thursday, April 02, 2009

Chicago public school gives honor students As, but

A government school gives A's for effort, but the students are not prepared when they go off to college:

"These honors students get high grades but the curriculum doesn’t adequately prepare them for college. Some do make it but others either get discouraged or are doomed for failure."

I wonder about "professionals" who want students to feel good about themselves and give them good grades. The reality is they are lying to the poor students.

(Hat tip: Joanne Jacobs)


---------
Technorati tags: government schools, public school, public education, education


3 comments:

Ruralmama said...

In some ways I wonder if straight A's are given sometimes to raise statistics and garner more money from somewhere for the district. I'm sure there are loving teachers out there that hate to see their hardworking kids not getting enough challenge and are just a disappointed that there isn't enough opportunity, but I bet that some of those "honor" students are far from the mark and that colleges are just, once again, making noise about it when these students show up on their doorstep.

Nicole said...

I am a public school teacher and I don't hand out As. Kids have to earn them. I teach elementary and I've come across parents who tell me their child is a straight A student and expect their kids to get straight As. That's fantastic that they have high expectations, but some parents think it is my fault that their child is getting Bs or Cs instead. There are a lot of smart, but lazy kids out there that could get As, but they care more about socializing, even at the elementary level. It's frustrating! Good thing I don't have to put up with it after this year. http://thoughtsfromanaddledbrain.blogspot.com/

Henry Cate said...

"In some ways I wonder if straight A's are given sometimes to raise statistics and garner more money from somewhere for the district."

That is an interesting thought. In the short run that might even work. I know one of the school districts around here had a reputation, and it is probably deserved, for a high academic education. The result is the price of houses is $50,000 and more when you cross certain streets.


"That's fantastic that they have high expectations, but some parents think it is my fault that their child is getting Bs or Cs instead."

I'm afraid there are many, many people in the United States who feel they should get the reward without the effort.