Friday, April 10, 2009

Another book for my reading stack

Rebecca Hagelin has a new book: 30 Ways in 30 Days to Save Your Family. She writes about the book in a recent column:

----------
One of my main goals as a mom is to have as few regrets as possible - to wake up each morning and pray for guidance to be true to the faith that God placed in me when he placed those precious babies in my arms so many years ago.
And I want to help you too. That's why I took four years to listen to parents hearts, their questions and their dreams and then look for ways to help strengthen your families. The result is my new book, 30 Ways in 30 Days to Save Your Family. I hope you will take a few minutes to check it out through my brand new,
website. I hope you will also order it right away. It is filled with personal victory stories and tips from regular readers of my column, a list or organizations that can help you through your struggles, and my own personal experiences and lessons learned along the way. Thanks to all of you who submitted your stories. They are going to make a real difference in the lives of families around the nation.
----------

It looks good. I'll try to track the book down the next time I'm at the library.

Marybeth Hicks writes about one of the most important part of parenting - Parent skills take work, not luck:

----------
A few years ago, author Rebecca Hagelin appeared on Fox News' “O'Reilly Factor” to promote her first parenting book, “Home Invasion.” During the interview, an incredulous Mr. O'Reilly challenged Mrs. Hagelin, asking how she reacts to teens who rebel against standards in the home about media.
Mrs. Hagelin calmly explained that when children and teens understand their parents' standards and values, they tend not to rebel much - or at least, that's been her experience. Mr. O'Reilly summarized, “Well, then, you're just lucky, that's all.”
I've no doubt that Mrs. Hagelin is lucky, in the way that we all feel blessed with the embarrassment of riches that parenthood brings. But it wasn't luck that created a household in which she and her husband could expect that their children follow guidelines about media consumption; it was skill.
----------

Our society has a meme that success is largely the result of luck. If success were even partly the result of hard work and perseverance, then people would have to admit that they didn't work hard enough. It is easier to say "I don't know why my children turned out so badly." than to admit "Well, I love to play golf and go boating. I use to dump my kids off at the daycare center during the week and leave them with a sitter on the weekends."

Having good children is partly the result of luck. It seems that some children will turn out well almost no matter what kind of parent raises them, but most children have a wide range in potential. Good parenting, through lots of hard work, blood, sweat and tears, help channel children towards being mature, happy, competent adults.


----------
Technorati tags: parenting, children

No comments: