Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Your children and Paul Graham's essays

A good friend recently sent me a link to Paul Graham's essay on Why TV Lost. Paul's main point is that the internet allows anyone, anywhere, to watch what they want to watch at anytime. Television can't compete. Television has a fixed schedule. If a viewer doesn't like the current selection he is out of luck. The internet has several orders of magnitude more options. Paul says getting involved with providing entertainment via the internet is a great place for startups.

I've greatly enjoyed Paul's essays in the past. About once a month I'll encourage a friend or colleague to read his essay on Good and Bad Procrastination. I'll try to remember to check out his essays more often.

His most recent essay is Be Relentlessly Resourceful. As an angel investor Paul is always trying to figure out which startups are going to be successful. He has decided that one of the most important characteristics is that the founders are "relentlessly resourceful." They need to be flexible, but focused on their goals, and work to make things happen.

This morning I left a comment at The Living Homeschool. In Spring Fever! a parent asked how to balance the demands of a clean up and school work. I think part of the answer is to remember your long range goals. For me the important thing is the character my children have when they are adults. Knowing some piece of history or how to make a bed isn't near as important as:

Are they honest?
Do they have charity?
Can they work hard?

After reading Paul's essay I'd like them also to be relentlessly resourceful. I want them to be aggressive in getting things done.

If you would like some food for thought about your long range goals for your children, check out his essay on Be Relentlessly Resourceful.


----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, parenting, children, education

2 comments:

Ruralmama said...

Ooh, I love the "R R" one. Very smooth writer, he is!

Henry Cate said...

Yes, that is a nice turn of phrase. I'd like to improve my writing to the point I can put words together like that.