Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Teen Survey

My oldest daughter answered questions over the phone for a university study on teens and drug use. She became annoyed because they didn't believe her answers were truthful. We just love it how homeschoolers skew the results.

The person asking the questions would repeatedly ask things like "Is there anyone else in the room listening?" I wasn't. Here's a few funny things she told me about her experience.


Survey taker: Do you go to school?

My daughter? I'm homeschooled. I just walk into the kitchen and sit down.

Survey taker: Are their drugs available at school?

My daughter: Well, we have a medicine cabinet.



Survey taker: Have you ever seen your parents drunk?

My daughter: My parents don't drink period.



Survey taker: Do you know any friends who have done drugs.

My daughter: Nope

Survey taker: How long would it take you to get marijuana if you wanted to? Within the hour? In a few hours? In a few days? Or indefinitely?

My daughter: Indefinitely.

Survey taker: Have you ever taken drugs? If not, how likely is it that you will take them in the future?

My daughter: Not very likely. I don't do drugs.

Survey taker: Your parents will not be told your answers. Is there anyone in the room listening to your answers?

My daughter: (A little exasperated now) NO! I just told you that 5 minutes ago.



Survey taker: How times per week to you have family meals?

My daughter: About 10 to 12 times per week.

Survey taker: A.......I can't enter a number that big. The highest I can go is 7. I will put that.


As part of the survey, they will call back and interview a parent. I'm really looking forward to that. ; )


--------------------
Related Tags:
, , , , , ,

5 comments:

R. Hansen said...

That is great! I love the question of how many meals. If they only wanted 7, they should've said how many days or how many dinners you have together.

I love that she caught them so off-guard. :-)

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Good grief. I would discount the results of their survey because they obviously set the parameters way ahead of time and aren't really listening.

C T said...

My brother had to get a polygraph exam in Baltimore for his security clearance. He said the examiner got very mad at him for not confessing to any illegal drug use. What was he supposed to do? Make something up? He really did stay clear of illegal drugs his whole life. Guess that's hard to believe in Baltimore...

Amy Bailes said...

Please, tell me that you're going to post the follow-up questions!

Anonymous said...

A not well memorized script I would say..But it's good to know that there's a kind of survey going on like this one. It will give us an precise statistics of our drug abused teens.
_______________________
teen drug treatment