Saturday, March 07, 2009

Some of the Things I Love about Homeschooling

1) A wide variety of resources

Our girls use Rosetta Stone for Spanish, but I wanted them to have opportunities to actually speak the language with a native. I have a friend from church who grew up in Guatemala/El Salvador (I can't remember which). Her 19 year-old niece/cousin (I can't remember which) recently moved to the states to learn English and attend college. She comes over for an hour once a week to go over the material we covered that week. It is a perfect fit. This is one of the things I love about homeschooling. I can pick from a wide variety of resources, not just a limit few.


2) Progress at your own speed

My oldest daughter completed 3/4 of the Saxon Algebra I book last year. We started the Algebra II book at the beginning of this year, but my daughter did very poorly on the first 2 tests. So, we went back and to the Algebra I book. We just kept repeating the material until she got it. I'm happy to see that she really does have a good grasp on the material now. This is one of the things I love about homeschooling. You don't move on until the student is ready.


3) A healthy life style

I read a news report recently which stated that teens consume on average 3 cans of soda per day. (By the way, in Alaska, it is 6 cans per day). I think my kids drink maybe 3 cans of soda every 6 months or more. I appreciate that we hang out in a pretty health conscious homeschool crowd.


4) We rotate school around our life, not our life around school

We enjoy the flexibility which comes with homeschooling. Our recent train trip is just one example. The kids enjoyed it so much that we are hoping to take another trip soon. Our life is filled with so many good learning opportunities which aren't limited to a textbook or the clock.


5) We are unaffected by the recent cuts in school funding

I have to admit that I'm glad that they are cutting school subsidies. For far too long, the public has been oblivious to the cost of a "free" government education. I could say more, but to do justice to the topic, I would need to write a serious of posts. So, moving right along....


6) We can teach our children the principle of self-sufficiency and good government.

We've had quite a few discussions on this topic recently. I'm pleased that my children "get it."

Well, I've run out of steam. I think there are hundred things I love about homeschooling, but it is past my bed time (especially with the time change.)

Feel free to leave comments with some of your own "Things I Love about Homeschooling."


----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, parenting, children, education

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just started homeschooling my 4 dc this year. One of the things that I Love about it is no one gets "held back". My 3rd child was in kindergarten last year and they mentioned the possibility of him being held back for not reading well. It disturbs me that people think they know at what exact time each child is to learn something. Don't they know that we are all unique to ourselves, we are not robots!

jugglingpaynes said...

Over ten years of homeschooling has made me see the benefit of versatility. If a book or curriculum isn't working, we look for something that does. When my oldest was having trouble with geometry, we borrowed various textbooks and materials from the library until we found one that worked for her. Whenever I can, I borrow material before buying it to see if it will work for my kids.

Henry Cate said...

Vicki B.: One of the things that I Love about it is no one gets "held back".

That is a great point.


jugglingpaynes - You are right, versatility is a great benefit.

Isabel de Villegas said...

I just moved to El Salvador, Central America and urgently need homeschooling. Any ideas who I should contact? Is there any place I can go to, to search for options. Please communicate to isadevillegas@hotmail.com