Monday, October 06, 2008

How do you avoid homeschool burnout?

This is a holiday week for our homeschool. I dropped off my oldest daughter at the airport this morning. She going to a homeschool youth conference in another state. This morning, the younger kids went to do experiments at the ocean with their Dad and visiting uncles.

I really wouldn't call this a break because I'm going to go clean the house and go shopping today while the house is empty. But, it is our first non-school day since we started up this fall. Being a homeschooler is a lot like running a home business. You are never really "off the clock." If you are not actively "doing school" then you are probably planning, doing paper work, or something else related to "school." Even house work is related to school, because I can't do academics in a cluttered house.

So, how do you avoid homeschool burn out? Here's my list.

1. Take a week off from school. Since my oldest is out of town until Friday evening, I'm not going to worry (much) about school work for the rest of the week.

2. "Just don't think about school" sometimes. I'm kind of a list person. I get more done when I use lists. I also get more anxious about what is not getting done when I use lists. So, for the rest of the week, I'm not going to use a list (except maybe to prepare next weeks list.)

3. Clean your house. I feel so much better when my house and my life is in order. I sure that cleaning releases endorphins.

4. Go on a date with your spouse. I'm a better mommy and teacher when I take time to be a good wife first.

5. Read a report about your local public school. Low academic performs, high drop out rates, gang problems put everything in perspective.

6. Exercise. It is really easy to fall into the "taking care of everyone but me" trap.

7. Get enough sleep. It is easy for homeschoolers to fall into the staying up late pattern since we often don't have early morning commitments. Early to bed and early to rise is still a good idea.

8. Don't schedule too many outside activities. Rememeber to keep the "home" in homeschool.

9. Eat right. Meal planning pays off in the long run. The more cooking I do, the better things work.

10. Leave room in your schedule for unstructured learning. If you are a structured homeschooler, it is easy to lock yourself into a routine that doesn't leave room for spontaneous learning. Recently, my oldest daughter ignored her list and worked on her Halloween costume. She asked me to get out the sewing machine to hem her costume. I pulled out the sewing machine and after showing her how it worked, she finished her costume on her own over the next few days. I'm so pleased that I let her depart from her regular studies. She eventually went back and finished her "school work" and also learned a new valuable skill.


----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, parenting, children, education,

7 comments:

ChristineMM said...

Nice list.

I add to the list, doing things to stimulat my brain (reading about something sometimes other than teaching and homeschooling).

I also do things just for fun for myself. Lately I have been knitting.

Janine Cate said...

>I add to the list, doing things to stimulat my brain (reading about something sometimes other than teaching and homeschooling).

That's a good one to remember. Thanks for the suggestion.

Carletta said...

Great list - especially the part about not signing up for too many activities.

I am a list person too, and I've learned to make my list and then scratch 2 or 3 things off of it. When I am considering how much time it will take us to complete an assignment or project, I multiply my first thought by 2.

I tend to overestimate what I can accomplish in a given time period and that definitely leads to burnout.

Janine Cate said...

>I tend to overestimate what I can accomplish in a given time period and that definitely leads to burnout.


I definately fall into that one sometimes.

Alison Kerr said...

You raise a good point. It's pretty easy to try to do it all and to feel responsible for our children's education even though we don't really have control over what they learn. We can control to some extent what they are exposed to, but that's as far as it goes!

I second having a date with your husband. Being away from home and away from the homeschool environment really helps me.

Shannon said...

Great suggestions!
I'm experiencing some burnout right now, so I'll refer back to these.
I especially like the taking a break from lists and exercise.
Blessings,
Shannon

Janine Cate said...

Thanks Shannon.

I just need to remember to take my own advice. ; )