Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ten tips for living to a hundred

My mother sent me a link to 10 Healthy Aging Tips From Centenarians:

---------
The poll, conducted by phone, included 100 U.S. centenarians. Here are their top 10 tips for healthy aging -- along with the percentage of how many said the tip is "very important" (they could call more than one tip "very important"):
Stay close to your family and friends: 90%
Keep your mind active: 89%
Laugh and have a sense of humor: 88%
Stay in touch with your spirituality: 84%
Continue looking forward to each new day: 83%
Keep moving and exercising: 82%
Maintain a sense of independence: 81%
Eat right: 80%
Keep up with news and current events: 63%
Keep making new friends: 63%

---------

A lot of these make sense. I wonder what keeping up with news and current events has to do with living long.


----------
Technorati tags: healthy, living

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe keeping up with current vents makes one feel more a part of the world and less isolated. It also gives people things to talk about and care about and maybe even a sense of not giving up one's place in the world or on the fate of the world. That's my immediate thought on it anyway.

Anonymous said...

*events, lol

Anonymous said...

"I wonder what keeping up with news and current events has to do with living long."

My guess is that it helps them to keep their minds sharp and engaged. Good advice for any age, actually.

Lance
http://www.homeeducateinthesunshinestate.com/blog/

Henry Cate said...

I wonder if there is any correlation in how much people keep up with news and current events and how long they live. If I read three newspapers, well nowadays it would be blogs, will I live longer than if I read only one?

Grizzly Mama said...

Maybe it has to do with not giving up and remaining engaged in the world around us. Perhaps - to some extent - dying or not dying is a decision. We could give up and die at 65 or we could remain active and engaged and determined to live life to the fullest extent for as long as possible.

It may sound silly, but I have several relatives who responded very differently when given news of health problems in their later years. One grandfather heard the news, lay down on the bed and died a couple of months later. Relatives insist that he made the decision to go. Other elderly relatives have determined to fight and live and did so. Was it the decision they made that prolonged their life? Who knows, but it seems that thinking and attitude DO seem to have something to do with physical health and well being.

Henry Cate said...

Some good points.

Every morning I first turn to the comics page and then skim the headlines. Maybe I should spend a little more time reading the paper.

Last week I customized a Google News page. I do check it out most mornings.

I would like to live long enough to see how my grand children turn out.