Saturday, August 09, 2008

California Superintendent of Public Instruction is happy with the recent court ruling!

More good news: the California Superintendent of Public Instruction, Jack O’Connelll, likes the recent court rulling:

----------
State Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O’Connell made the following statement Friday after the 2nd District Court of Appeal issued a 44-page ruling that declared, “California statutes permit home schooling as a species of private school education.”
“I am pleased that the courts have clarified the right of California parents to home school their children. I have respected the right of parents to make educational decisions they feel are in the best interest of their children.
“As head of California’s public school system, it would be my wish that all children attend public school, but I understand that a traditional public school environment may not be the right setting for each and every child. I would point out that within California’s education system there are many options available, from independent study to charter schools to non-classroom-based programs.
“I recognize and understand the consternation that the earlier court ruling caused for many parents and associations involved in home schooling. It is my hope that today’s ruling will allay many of those fears and resolve much of the confusion.
“I also appreciate the caution and concern taken by the court to protect children when their safety becomes an issue.”

----------

This will probably be the final word about homeschooling in California, at least for awhile.

(Hat tip: the HSC Mailing list)


----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, parenting, children, education

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to read this, part of me knew it would never stand but you still worry just a little!
This is a relief for HS in all states.

Henry Cate said...

It is great news. Hopefully this will reassure many parents and more people will start to homeschool their children.

Anonymous said...

i"m sorry, but reading this doesn't give me asurance. Doesn't it mean if home schooling is a public school, then government will not help out financially according to how our constitution is formated out?

Henry Cate said...

Anonymous, I'm not sure what you are asking. Homeschooling is when parents step outside the public schools and take over for teaching their children. I don't want the government giving me money, because I'm afraid there will be too many strings.