Thursday, April 03, 2008

A little good news

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic and have been since I was 12 years old. Every year I have my children screened for the autoantibodies that indicate the pending development of Type 1 Diabetes. This blood test is provided for free by the TrialNet Natural History Study.

Each year I literally hold my breath as I open the response letter that comes six weeks later. Since each child's test results come in a separate letter, I repeat this process three time. I am happy to report that all my girls are negative for the autoantibodies.

At some point, if my children do test positive, they could enter a research program that test treatment options that can delay the onset of diabetes. I'm happy that I don't have to worry about this year.

Click here to see a video explaining the clinical trials, TrialNet, and Natural History.

-------------------
Tags : Type 1 Diabetes, autoantibodies, Natural History study, TrialNet

2 comments:

Jenn Casey said...

That is great news! My husband is a Type 1 diabetic, diagnosed 7 years ago, at age 29. I will watch the video--does it include information about how to sign up for the blood testing? I'd love to get my kids tested if possible.

Janine Cate said...

Yes, it does explain how to sign up for testing.

Good luck.